False Start, Limitless Ending (2014)


There was a fire in the Glasgow School of Art on Friday May 23rd 2014. As a result, my degree show was cancelled. By Monday I was on the road again. I went up to the source of the River Forth to begin the series that became False Start, Limitless Ending. The false start was the dunking of my kite and camera into the source stream when the winds fell calm. The limitless ending was a contemplation on death, infinity and the journey from source to sea. During my time at art school I'd already made several trips along the Forth whilst thinking about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of bodies that had passed down the river following the Battle of Bannockburn. False Start, Limitless Ending won the Jill Todd Photography Award 2014 and was exhibited in Street Level Photoworks, Glasgow and then Gracefield Arts Gallery, Dumfries.






All images © Frank McElhinney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flight (2022)

'On the Edge' Donegal residency (2019)

Kingshill (2018)